Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Things are moving!

It was another week before I went back to visit the building site and things were moving. These guys don’t hang around. There’s a big green structure with water tanks on top – looks like a sort of HQ with people going in and out all the time. Word around the bush is that they’re building something for tourists, but I can’t see tourists sleeping in this thing – not posh enough.


In fact, as I got closer I noticed outlines in the soil, all curves and big spaces, under the acacias and all staring straight at Kilimanjaro. Something tells me this is the real thing. After all, if I were a tourist I would want to wake up to that great mountain.

I see it all the time of course, but I never tire of it. It’s the second biggest attraction in Amboseli, after the elephants of course. Most people come to see us with Kili in the background – makes great photos.

While I hung around a big meeting took place with lots of people including the local Masai. I’m told that the Masai get involved with tourism these days, earning rent from the land and from every tourist who visits. That’s good news – not only for them but for us too – now we can all live in peace.

Meanwhile the construction goes on and that brick making machine is working overtime.

No comments: